Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Catching Up...

So it's been awhile. I've been busy...For the first time in University of Denver history, a non-academic department has been moved off of the University of Denver campus. I am lucky enough to be part of that department, therefore, I had the extreme pleasure of packing up my office and being moved 2.7 miles away from campus. All the while, my team was readying itself for our biggest event of the year: Reunion Weekend. I'm talking 13 events in 3 days big. So I've been busy...

Here's what's going on in my neck of the woods (thanks Al Rocher!):
-Rakhshani and Ruegsegger Invited to 2007 U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp
-DU Hockey Announces 2007-08 Schedule A side note here, there are some VERY interesting scheduling decisions here. First, DU will visit Notre Dame for their first away series. Interestingly, these games will take place on Thursday and Friday, undoubtedly due to the fact that Notre Dame will be hosting USC on the Football field that Saturday. Second, two weekends later, DU will visit Minnesota where they will play on Friday and Sunday. Once again, the hockey game appears to be bumped as the Gopher Football team will be playing Illinois at the Metrodome. Last, DU will play its first series against much hated rival CC the weekend after Thanks giving rather than the first week in December. My best guess for this change is that DU is hoping to fill more seats as most students will still be in town before the six week Winter Break begins.
-Thomas to Lead 07-08 DU Hockey Pioneers Another side note, I think it's safe to say that ALL DU fans saw this one coming a mile away. Andrew Thomas follows a long line of Defensemen to lead the Pioneers, but much more than that, he has proven that he has the ability to lead the team (hopefully to the Frozen Four right here in Denver!) throughout his college career. A hearty congratulations go out to an outstanding Pioneer.
-DU's Fisher Signs with Edmonton

And in the hockey world in general:
-The Anaheim (they'll always be Mighty to me!) Ducks won the Stanley Cup in case you've been under a rock...I would have preferred the Ottawa Senators would have won, but really I wasn't very invested in watching the finals.
-This Thursday June 14th, the NHL will hold it's annual Awards ceremony, recognizing those outstanding players in the League. The Colorado Avalanche's Paul Stastny is up for the Calder. He's been pitted against Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, both of the Pittsburgh Penguins. I can only hope that Paul's amazing 20 game point streak will make him stand out against the Rookie leading 85 point-scoring Malkin. Also Joe Sakic was nominated for the Lady Byng, as was Pavel Datsyuk and Martin St. Louis. The Awards Show can be seen on Versus at 5:00pm MT
-Avalanche Signs Leopold, Sauer, Finger and Jones
-Stastny Shines At World Championship

Last I want to tell you about a new blog. The College Hockey (& Other Stuff) Blog is fairly new and has GREAT content. They've been kind enough to link to me and I have now added a link to them. I highly recommend this blog to anyone looking for a quick and easy fix on the world of College Hockey.

That'll do it for me today, so until next time...

No comments: