Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bright Idea

So I had this bright idea to start a hockey blog on the eve of the end of the hockey season...I really am quite smart, I promise. However, I figure there is plenty to talk about during the offseason, what with players changing teams, team announcements, etc. So here is my first post...I have posted several times on my "personal" blog () concerning matters of Hockey, I think I might move those here...Maybe I could just link to them...hhhmmmm...

Well, here is the premise of this blog...Yes, it is called hockey in Colorado, but I will endeavor to discuss teams outside of Colorado. Within Colorado, the focus will be on the University of Denver, the Colorado Avalanche, and the Colorado College (in the order). I must admit that I am completely biased when it comes to these three hockey teams, especially the DU Pioneers. Here's why: I go to DU, I work for DU, I bleed Crimson and Gold, I have season tickets (5th row up from the ice, hopefully on the boards for next season!), I didn't miss a single game in the 2005-2006 season, those that I couldn't attend, I listened to on the radio or watched on TV. As far as the Colorado Avalanche go, I am a native of Colorado, they are my hometown team, I have a moral obligation to revere this team. So I do.

Colorado College is a different matter all together. I despise this team...It's my duty as a student and employee of DU, we take a secret oath (not so secret now I guess) to loath this team and all of its players and coaches. However, I do have a great respect for them. They play some amazing hockey and it's a great rivalry. Anyways, I truly believe that to really hate something, you have to know it intimately...

Now, I must admit that I am a relatively new fan of hockey. My first experience was my freshman year in college (2002-2003) when I went to the DU/UMD game. It was great, the student section was amazing (mostly, minus the idiot girls who only go to the games so that they can tell the players they saw the game and think this will help them get laid), and we won! I attended several other games that season and was hooked. My sophomore year the infatuation grew. DU won it's first national championship in 37 years as an underdog, it was completely incredible! Junior year was more of the same, only worse...DU won it's second national championship in grand style. They won the McNaughton Cup (regular season champs, which they had to share with CC), the Broadmoor Trophy (WCHA playoff champs), and then went on to win the national championship! I taped the game and watch it on a regular basis during the offseason (is that weird? do I care? no, not really).

Prior to this (2005-2006) season, I had a small catastrophe and had to join the real world and get a real job while I went to school part-time. However, this gave me the opportunity to buy regular season tickets. I bought two seats (one for myself and one for my best friend, who has fueled my addiction to the best sport in the world) 5 rows from the ice on the goal line of the home team. It was amazing. At some point I will post pics of my view...

That's all for now. I will write soon about my thoughts on this season, link to my other hockey posts, and elaborate on my love of the Colorado Avalanche. I will also post links to my fav hockey blogs and sites.

~Catie

No comments: