Friday, May 12, 2006

Another one bites the dust...

Uugghh…I am almost too depressed to write. Yet here I sit in my office, listening to Anna Nalick and the sound of my boss droning on and on about meaningless nothings. Thoughts for today…


-I still can’t get over the sweetest mullet on the planet, way to go Ryan Smyth. It haunts my dreams. I almost want to root for it, but my allegiance to Matt Carle, one of my all-time favorite former DU stars, wins out. I really hope that San Jose can pull out the win over Edmonton tonight. A scary thought that, as the Oilers seem to be doing so well on home ice.
-In other Ryan Smyth news, he took a nasty hit to the mouth in the second period on a clearing attempt from Chris Pronger. His teammate said it best: "Not that he was pretty before, but he is not going to look good come game-time," said Oilers left-winger Ethan Moreau, who believes Smyth will be stitched up and ready for Game 4 Friday. Smyth lost 3 teeth and made a trip to the dentist yesterday. It’s really gotta suck when your own teammate tries to take you out…I think Pronger was mesmerized by the epic mullet and got distracted. Smyth came back into the game and assisted on the 3rdOT game winning goal. Now that’s what hockey is all about!
-What is going on with Martin Brodeur and the Devils? After their epic 15 game win streak ended, they haven’t put together a decent game. I almost feel sorry for them…almost…
-I think I may have taken for granted that my loyal readers follow the Avalanche, but it is possible that not everyone has heard about the Massacre of ’06. I nearly cried when the Ducks scored that empty net goal last night in their 4-1 win over the Avs. We can’t blame Pierre Turgeon for this one, since he didn’t even play. However, we can blame Patrice Brisebois. But I should be charitable and blame the whole team, as that would probably be closer to the truth. It should be interesting this summer as the Avs have 13 players who will be free agents this summer, most notably, Joe Sakic, Rob Blake, Dan Hinote, Alex Tanguay, Karlis Skrastins, and Marek Svatos.
-How cool would it be if the Western Conference Finals came down to San Jose and Anaheim? It would be amazing! I also think it would be great for hockey in California. In the recent past, some stellar players have come from California, Gabe Gauthier of DU, Brett Sterling of CC (I really didn’t want to, but I have to respect that he is amazing player, just not against DU), Brian Salcido (see previous statement), Robbie Earl (not stellar but well known for his amazing accomplishment of All-American Diving team).
-In the Eastern Conference, I think I am going to have to go with Buffalo. Former Av Chris Drury is having an amazing post season, not to mention Ryan Miller is the future of USA hockey goaltending.

No comments: