Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Caps at Bruins 2-1

The Avs had yesterday off, so I decided to catch a game on OLN. I am so happy that OLN has been covering games all season because it has allowed me to see teams and players that the Avs don’t generally play. Last night, I watched the Washington Capitals beat the Boston Bruins in overtime 2-1. Here are my thoughts on the game and it’s milestones:

-Mark Stuart, slated to be the captain of the Colorado College tigers for the 2005-2006 season but opted to leave early, scored his first NHL goal which turned out to be the only Bruins goal. He played his first NHL game about a month ago on March 11. In the 14 games he has played for the Bruins, he has assisted on one goal, giving him 2 career points, he is -1, has 10 penalty minutes, and is 12.5% on the percentage of shots that have resulted in goals.

-This was the first time I have had the opportunity to see Alexander Ovechkin play. I have to say…I was completely amazed! He works so hard on the ice, he makes BIG hits and he is able to puck handle like you wouldn’t believe! Don’t believe me? Watch this: Alexander the Great!

-Speaking of Alexander the Great, he became the sixth rookie to score 100 points in a season. He has scored 49 goals, and had 51 assists. If he can score another goal in the final four games of the season, he will become only the second rookie to score 50 goals in a season. The only rookie to achieve this feat thus far? Teemu Selanne, he had 76 goals and 132 points for Winnipeg in the 1992-1993

-It was obvious to me from watching this game, why these two teams have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. They made soooooooo many mistakes that I am used to seeing in College hockey. They whole game felt like I was watching a college game. There was no spark, no fighting, it was just kind of dead. I hope that the Capitals are able to turn around this off-season and find ways to be successful because I would love to see Alex Ovechkin do well.

-After the game, during the post-game interviews, Alex was discussing what the Capitals are playing for and was given a shaving cream pie to the face by team captain Jeff Halpern. Alex laughed for a couple seconds, then just kept on going like nothing was going on. Someone gave him a towel and he wiped most of it from his face, but the poor interviewer was trying to keep it together but couldn’t. It was absolutely hilarious! See the incident for yourself here: Talk about a pie in the Face!

-for more great stuff on Alex Ovechkin, go here: Ovechkin Fans

~Catie

No comments: