Sunday, April 16, 2006

Time to play a little catch-up

Well, as sometimes happens, I got a little behind on my blogging…it was the weekend, so sue me. But really, let’s talk hockey.

The Avs lost a nail biter on Thursday to Calgary by a score of 2 to nothing. The biggest problem the Avs had was that they couldn’t score! Miika Kiprusoff was (yes I am going to say it, at the risk of sounding like Peter McNab…) amazing. He was just too good! The Avs had some quality scoring chances but just couldn’t finish the job with Kiprusoff throwing off their game. It was a really a hard fought game by both teams. Congrats to Calgary for winning their first divisional title since 1992. Jose was amazing in his own right though. Considering he let in one goal on 26 shots, I think we should all be happy with his performance. This one just came down to how amazingly Kiprusoff played and how the Avs were unable to capitalize on good scoring chances.

The Avs lost in OT to Vancouver on Saturday by a score of 3-4. While I didn’t get to see the game (yet, I taped it while I went to church), I did see the goal that won the game in overtime for the Canucks. It seems that Jose has a problem with stopping goals on the glove side. I think that he always tends to just move his shoulder up in the hopes of blocking the shots rather than trying to catch them. But maybe this has worked for him in the past. Plus what do I know about being a goalie anyway?

In other Colorado hockey news, the Colorado Eagles of the CHL won in game 7 of the Northern Conference Semi-finals against the Oklahoma City Blazers by a score of 6-2. The Eagles play in Loveland, CO at the Budweiser Events Center. They won the CHL championship last season and looked to be in a good position to do the same this year. This is their third year in Colorado. I have had the pleasure of attending an Eagles game and it was so much fun. I recommend it for anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive way to experience great hockey. Good luck to the Eagles!

No comments: